Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Inside the mind of the Shaner


O.k, so the picture pretty much says it all. Steve Prefontaine and I understand each other, and I plan to race him in heaven. Until then however, I must settle for crazy little things here on earth. Example: I have not been on a road bike or any other bike for that matter since last August and I haven't done any running since about the same time, Yet I find myself excited to hurl myself into a 100 mile bike race this Saturday in and through Zions National Park. I had plenty of notice to get moderately prepared for the race, but still found a way to forget about it until just this week. Along with riding an absurd amount of miles in the bike saddle, we will be doing it with practically no sleep. My friend has a banquet Friday night and we won't be able to leave until around 11:30 pm ish. We figure a three and a half to four hour drive and that gives us two hours of sleep before the start of the race at 5:00 a.m. Yeah it's ridiculous for sure, but once again I'm actually excited for the unique physical and mental challenges it will surely present. So this is where you get a peak at how the Shaner's twisted little runner mind works; there are shorter races along the same coarse that we could do, but I honestly don't think that it would be worth the trip to just do something average. If I am going to drive down there, I want to do the entire thing. I don't want to take the easiest possible thing that I KNOW I could finish.....I would much rather throw myself into something that I'm not quite sure I can do. That is what is exciting for me about it. So wish me luck, and maybe some prayers too =) (the drive home should be gnarly with how tired we will be)

1 comment: